finding chart status

From: Alex Conley (aconley@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 18:03:32 PDT

    The following finding charts are ready for use from the berkeley finding
     chart page
    http://panisse.lbl.gov/followup/charts/spring_2002
    The Subaru finding charts are explained in a little more detail below.

    Subaru:
     S02-057, S02-08, S02-060, S02-061, S02-063, S02-064, S02-066

    CTIO:
     T02-015, T02-028, T02-028, T02-029, T02-037

    CFHT/CTIO:
     C02-026, C02-027, C02-031

    There is one warning that comes with these finding charts: For everything
    I just listed except C02-026, there is a small error in where the
    crosshair appears on the zoom postscript. This only affects where the
    crosshair was drawn. It does not change any of the offsets, angles, or
    the RA and DECs. Future finding charts will not have this problem, but
    the old ones will not be changed because this is only a cosmetic flaw (and
    would require many hours of work).

    If you have been using the fits zoom images also provided on the finding
    chart page, this does make for a one pixel change in the CANDY field in
    the header of the fits header. Since only the Keck people are using these
    fits files (as far as I know), and I've talked to them seperately,
    this shouldn't concern anyone else.

    For the Subaru finding charts, note that all of the magnitudes are in
    i'(AB). This means that the stars are actually a little brighter in
    I than listed (~0.5 mags is the working offset).

    Also note that there is more than one finding chart available for the
    Subaru images. Only the shallow one is of any real use unless you
    can offset from 20.5 mag stars. I only included the deeper ones because
    there is no way you can see anything at the candidate position in the
    shallow (7-10 sec) exposures, and I thought it might make everybody
    happier if they could see something in some image at the position we
    claim the SN is (but don't forget about the crosshair error!).

    Alex