CFHT candidates not found at CTIO

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 07:49:33 PDT

    See http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/~sne/AllNews/ for the six (really five)
    candidates CFHT found which CTIO didn't find on their cross-telescope
    subtractions.

    high sigma, but with too low %INC to be caught by our scans. One was
    off of the edge of the CTIO search field.

    The remaining two were previously known candidates; one *was* found by
    CTIO, but not remarked since it was existing C02-016/VotezChirez. The
    other seems to have not increased between Apr12 and May8 according to
    the French data (if I read it right), so it's unsurprising that we
    didn't find it.

    I will send more information about the CTIO-found candidates later, as I
    have time to digest them.

    Details:

    (1) Prolix, RA 14:00:29.7 Dec 04:46:50.5

      This one only had a 12% increase in the CTIO cross-telescope
      subtractions. This is lower than the %INC listed by Julian, because
      they had much better seeing: the host is very bright, so the worse
      seeing meant bigger aperture, thus more host light in the aperture,
      thus lower %INC. 12%INC was below our cuts. (This was found at
      32sigma on the x-telescope subtraction.)

        ==> This has been saved as C02-028 (Prolix)

    (2) Bizare20/Comix RA 14:01:53.1 Dec 04:54:26.9

      Same story, although here the %INC was 14.9 so *barely* missed passing
      our %INC cut of 15%. Ap.Sig. is 15.3 in the x-telescope subtraction.

        ==> This has been saved as C02-029 (comix)

    (3) Agecanonix RA 14:01:55.2 04:53:55.7

      This one is 12" away from the quoted coordinate of
      C02-010/Bibchonabix, previously found by Julian and Seb. Looking at
      the two "I detection" plots on the Frogs' search web page, it is
      clearly the same candidate.

      I see nothing here in our cross-telescope subtractions; there is no
      residual spot that I can find to identify with this candidate. I
      believe I have identified the location of the host galaxy. Looking at
      the "I detection" plots that Julian pointed to, this guy was fading
      through May 3! If the "Mag" is to be believed, it's still fading on
      May 8. I'm not sure I understand why this was found on the May 8
      subtraction.

      I'm not completely sure how to read the "I detection" plots; what are
      each of these subtracted from? Note that the magnitude in Apr 12 and
      May 8 is the same. Those are the dates we subtracted for our search,
      so it's unsurpsing that we didn't find this.

    (4) Troudux RA 14:02:18.4 04:47:05.9

      We did not find this because it was (barely) off of the edge of the
      CTIO search field. Refer to

          http://panisse.lbl.gov/followup/charts/spring_2002/ctio_on_cfht.ps

      The CFHT fields D1 and D4 are in red; the CTIO fields H1 and H4 are in
      green. Chip 5 (where this guy is) is what I label chip f on the
      diagram. Note that most of chip f sticks out beyond the left edge of
      the CTIO search fields.

    (5) Amerix RA 14:00:46.4 Dec 04:33:41.4

      This is the same as C02-016/VotezChirez. We *did* find it on our
      cross-telescope subtraction, but didn't report it as a new candidate
      since it already existed! (For what it's worth, I originally saved it
      before realizing it was an existing candidate.)