CTIO first night

From: SEDeustua@lbl.gov
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 12:18:16 PDT

    The good, the bad and the rest:

    Last night was actually mostly clear all night, with a little light
    cirrus during the latter part of the night. The instantaneous seeing
    during the first four hours was high about 1.4 arcsec average, so those
    images are pretty bad. At around midnight the instant. seeing improved
    to about 1.1 +/- 0.2 arcsec and remained like that for most of the
    night. Naturaaly during the one hour of excellent (0.7") seeing, we
    were having filter focus problems (the temperature was bouncing around)
    -- moral of the story, check the focus when changing filters just like
    your mother always told you. Our recorded seeing from good images
    averaged around 1.1-1.2 during the latter half of the night, and were of
    order 1.4 during the beginning.

    In summary, the fields we observed last night were:

    Field No. x exp (sec) filter
    L341 3x600 R
    L340 2x600 R
    L344 2x600 R
    L022 2x600 R
    L221 2x300 R
            1x600 R
            1x600 I
    L220 2x300 R
            1x600 R
    L210 2x300 R
            1x600 R
    L211 2x300 R
            1x600 R
    L212 2x300 R
    L260 2x300 R
    L261 2x300 R
    L262 2x300 R

    H1 1x900 I
    H2 8x900 I These are pretty crummy
    H4 1x500 I
            1x600 I
            2x900 I

    Plus Standard Star fieldsSA98,SA104,SA113, SA110, PG1657 in both R and
    I.

    Tonight looks like it will be pretty good again -- but we'll see when it
    gets to twilight. My plan is to finish the H4 fields, and H1 and then
    sweep through the L refs and searches.

    Cheers,
    Susana, Michael and Andy

    Dr. Susana Deustua, Staff Scientist
    Physics Division: Supernova Cosmology Project & SNAP
    Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
    MS 50-232 \\ 1 Cyclotron Road \\ Berkeley, CA 94720
    phone:510-486-7432 fax:510-486-6738 email:sedeustua@lbl.gov