Re: Lifan's also thinking early SN, but 91T-like...[Fwd:C02-016 - aka VotezChirax]]

From: Peter Nugent (nugent@sauls.lbl.gov)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 11:33:16 PDT

    > If we end up with some spectroscopy time available (or some bad-seeing
    > conditions that only allows us to go for something this bright) would we
    > be able to distinguish this hypothesis from the SN Ib/c hypothesis by
    > seeing the spectrum 10 days later (observer's frame)? What about with
    > more blue coverage?

    At later times a Ib/c will flare up in the red with large CaII and OI
    emission lines. We could probably do it with the R-I R-Z photometry, since
    these lines would be about 1.0 microns and redder and spectrscopy wouldn't
    help much more given how faint it would get in the near IR. A blue
    spectrum might show differences, but my knowledge of a Ia in the blue vs a
    Ib/c in this part of the spectrum is small.

    Even if it is a 91T, with this amount of extinction it would be pretty
    wortless for cosmology. We might learn some things about SN physics, but
    given it's z it really isn't that far out there to learn much.

    I would suggest doing other things first, like host galaxy
    redshifts/typing from past SNe, nearby SNe, etc. before spending more time
    on this one unless you are really desparate. If we have multiple colors
    from the rolling search we might be able to pin down it's type, even with
    extiction, via Lifan's method. I pray that we find better things to go
    after out there.

    Cheers,

    Peter

    --
    Peter E. Nugent
    Computer Scientist - Scientific Computing Group - NERSC