Re: CTIO first night

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 12:21:28 PDT

    > Last night was actually mostly clear all night, with a little light
    > cirrus during the latter part of the night. The instantaneous seeing
    > during the first four hours was high about 1.4 arcsec average, so those
    > images are pretty bad. At around midnight the instant. seeing improved
    > to about 1.1 +/- 0.2 arcsec and remained like that for most of the
    > night. Naturaaly during the one hour of excellent (0.7") seeing, we
    > were having filter focus problems (the temperature was bouncing around)
    > -- moral of the story, check the focus when changing filters just like
    > your mother always told you. Our recorded seeing from good images
    > averaged around 1.1-1.2 during the latter half of the night, and were of
    > order 1.4 during the beginning.

    There is a command you should type to update the temperatures; settemp,
    or something like that. When you're doing 15 minute exposures, you
    should do it before every exposure. Have you been doing that?

    > Tonight looks like it will be pretty good again -- but we'll see when it
    > gets to twilight. My plan is to finish the H4 fields, and H1 and then
    > sweep through the L refs and searches.

    I sent you a msg. re: an additional field to do at the end of the
    night. There will probably be more information alter, but by default
    redo all of last night's fields. Start to get both R and I on them.

    -Rob