Re: Correction to the time available at cfht

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 16:07:33 PDT

    "Robert A. Knop Jr." wrote:

    > Reason to do CFHT over Subaru deep fields: CFHT is going to get the
    > lightcurve with the rolling search (we hope). We need to find them in
    > order to get spectra. Somebody please let me know if there is a flaw in
    > this reasoning.

    Rob, the only argument I can see that goes the other way is that the Subaru deep
    fields would be completely fresh fields, allowing us to find more new z~0.85 SNe
    beyond the one that would already be found with CFHT (assuming that *sometime*
    in the next 5 nights CFHT gets a half-hour on each field). However, if the
    weather looks at all good at CTIO for the next three nights, I might still go
    with your basic plan (for the reasons that you give) and try to do the Subaru
    deep fields later.