Re: Correction to the time available at cfht

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 15:54:12 PDT

    > So, if Rob thinks that we can do a deep search with cross-telescope
    > subtractions -- and that this is a better choice than a year-old-ref
    > CTIO-field search or a search of the Subaru fields from last month -- then
    > this would lean us back towards taking CFHT fields tonight.

    Allright.

    Default plan then at CTIO is to do H1 and H4 (which overlap the CFHT
    fields). That is more likely to produce deep z~1 supernovae than using
    the CTIO fields is. The time will not be wasted, since although CFHT
    *will* do them again, doing them at CTIO will help ensure that we get
    enough time to get spectra of these guys. I hope.

    If the seeing is bad (worse than 1.2"), then do H2 and H3 at CTIO.

    If we change our mind, then we may be doing Sub1, Sub2, Sub3, and/or
    Sub4. However, assume for the moment that we aren't doing that, but are
    doing CFHT.

    Reason to do CFHT over Subaru deep fields: CFHT is going to get the
    lightcurve with the rolling search (we hope). We need to find them in
    order to get spectra. Somebody please let me know if there is a flaw in
    this reasoning.

    (Note: if we do decide to search the Subaru fields with CTIO, it will
    take me an extra day to get the deep field subtractions done. There
    will still be scanning starting on Tuesday, however, since the CTIO
    shallow fields will get subtracted Tuesday morning.)

    -Rob