Re: Correction to the time available at cfht

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 15:50:52 PDT

    (Sorry to continue the email barrage.)

    That is a planned *total* of 25 minutes in each field altogether over the four
    non-queue CFHT nights -- *not* 25 min per night. (I misunderstood Julien in
    stating that tonight was a queue night -- it's not. It is the first of these
    four non-queue nights.)

    And then the following nights, beginning with May 10, the CFHT queue starts
    again, so we have the possibility of getting an additional 30 min for each
    field in I and 10 min for each field in R just before the Keck run begins.

    The original concept was that we would add together several nights of the
    rolling observations to go deep enough to look for SNe at z >1. Now,
    however, it does seem that even with good weather tonight and on May 10, we
    will still not be deep enough with this CFHT data (although it would bode
    well for the Subaru observations on the same mountain collecting deep search
    data). So, if Rob thinks that we can do a deep search with cross-telescope
    subtractions -- and that this is a better choice than a year-old-ref
    CTIO-field search or a search of the Subaru fields from last month -- then
    this would lean us back towards taking CFHT fields tonight.