Re: Satie

From: clidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 13:22:37 PDT

    Hi Isobel,
       If NIRI will be used to take a reference image for Satie in place of observing one
    of the current high z SNe, then we'll probably want ISAAC to image the one SNe
    that NIRI does not image.

       Imaging z=1.1 SNe with the Js filter on ISAAC is quite difficult. One requires
    excellent seeing (0.5" or better) and long integration times (40,000 seconds). This
    will eat into about 14 of the 25 hours of ISAAC time we have.

       It may take several nights to get such data, so the sooner we start, the better our
    chances will be in getting the total integration done. From tonight onwards, there
    are six full ISAAC service nights and three half nights until May 3rd.

       There is some probability that even if we start now, we will not get enough hours of good
    seeing. The last few nights have been good, but there is no gaurentee that this will continue.

    Cheers, Chris.