Running sigma

From: Alexander Conley (AJConley@lbl.gov)
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 13:06:08 PST

    Hi Greg,

       I have tried to look into the question of the 'running sigma' in the
    resid versus resid plot. Yesterday I told you that doing the ML fit
    had bumped the significance up to about 2 sigma. I noticed
    that this was heavily influenced by a few points with really large
    errors. Since I don't take the errors into account (and in fact am
    not sure how I would), this was a little troubling. So I placed
    a cut on the errors of 0.4 mags (removing only 3 SNe) and
    the significance dropped back to 1.5 sigma. This is probably
    a more believable result.

    But 1.5 sigma is still a detection, and is still worth trying to
    understand. Another thing I did was to break down the sample
    by redshift and try to figure out what was driving the running
    of the sigma. It seems to be mostly driven by the low redshift
    sample, which has a non-zero slope at the 1.5 sigma level.
    The high redshift sample shows a much smaller slope, but
    the significance is less than 1 sigma.

    To be more precise -- if the sigma is written
       sigma_0 + a*x
    where x is the Bbv resid, then
    complete sample: a = -0.099 +- 0.063
    low-z : a = -0.141 +- 0.110
    high-z : a = -0.074 +- 0.077

    What does this mean? Well, besides confirming that positive residual
    means dimmer, I still don't really have any good ideas. If anything
    I would expect a weak effect in the other direction -- dim SNe should
    have larger photometric errors, and hence scatter slightly more.
    I guess in some sense this is telling us that intrinsically dim SNe are
    more homogenous, even after stretch correction -- at about the 1.5 sigma
    level of detection.

    As a reminder, we have a SCP collaboration meeting on Saturday.
    The first item on the agenda is me unblinding. I'd rather not have
    to ask Tony and/or Saul to remove me from the agenda, so I need
    your responses.

    Alex