Re: Removing the blindness

From: Alexander Conley (AJConley@lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 11:18:31 PDT

    Hi Chris,

    Rob's sample:

       It's difficult to say. There aren't really very many SNe involved,
    and the size of
    the effect in the overall residuals is close to the size of the errors.
      Out of
    the three SNe that were excluded from the low-extinction subset,
    98ax and 98as are both high (causing the split), but 98aw, which is the
    worst
    of the lot according to K03, is actually right around 0 residual. On
    the other hand,
    the errors are large enough this may not mean much. The other 3 SNe,
    which
    were not cut by Rob, are all around 0 residual, except 98ba, which is
    similar
    to 98ax,as. So the high peak is caused by 2 of the ones that Rob
    excluded
    and one that he didn't.

    To be more quantitative:

    SN z Resid sigma
    97eq 0.54 -0.092 0.233
    98ba 0.43 0.169 0.159
    00fr 0.54 -0.006 0.144
    98as 0.36 0.176 0.157
    98aw 0.44 0.055 0.154
    98ax 0.50 0.121 0.172

    So I would say it's consistent with the story, but the number of SNe
    just isn't
    large enough to say anything stronger.

    Alex