Re: PAPER on 99ac

From: Gabriele Garavini (garavini@in2p3.fr)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 07:52:29 PST

    Dear Saul,

    I have read your corrections and they all make sense to me.
    For the answers to your questions please keep reading:

    >Optical depth scales exponentially with velocity
    > ***What does this phrase mean?: [[[according
    > to an $e$-folding velocity]]]*** up to a maximum velocity given by
    $v_{max}$.

    now reads:
    "Optical depth scales exponentially with velocity according
    to $e$-folding velocity, $v_{e}$, up to a maximum velocity given by
    $v_{max}$."

    This means just that tau is proportional to exp(-v_e).

    > improve the agreement. [[[***This is puzzling: Why does extinction
    > strongly affect either of these measurements???***]]]

    The whole sentence has been removed now. It was a residual of a previous
    version of the plot that was showing Mag vs R(SiII). In that case,
    of course, the magnitude was affected by extinction. In the
    current version with delta_m_15 the effect of extinction is negligible
    even if not zero (extinction depends on time).

    My plan for the next few days is to read trough the paper carefully once
    more and to make it available for the next step of the internal review,
    that I believe should be to open it to the collaboration.

     Thank very much you.
     Cheers
    Gabriele