Re: I-band paper

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 16:56:41 PDT

    Other issues aside, let me comment on the Tonry optical data for 99Q. I
    sat beside John in his office as we examined the HZSST's fit to 99Q. He
    provided me with the date of max from his published fit. We looked over
    the lightcurve file used in the fit. Although I did not feel I could write
    down each value, I noticed that the data list started with the discovery
    point and continued with the HST points. The discovery point is exactly as
    listed in the IAUC - and based on Tonry's data of max I assume the
    discovery point is the pre-max point that is referred to. (In our fit the
    discovery point is not pre-max).

    Somewhere in the conversation Tony mentioned that for all he knew Adam
    night have addition points, but Tonry didn't know this and didn't use any
    such data. Therefore, I believe that Vitaliy's fits 2R, 2P, 2S are
    accurate, complete, and self-consistent with respect to the data used in
    the Tonry paper. As the fit is completely controlled by the lightcurve
    template and the K-corrects well after max, it may not be surprising that
    our dates of max could differ so much. Of course if Tonry was showing me
    the wrong file, or forgot some other important details, then all bets are
    off. Likewise, if Adam used different points in his analysis, we would not
    know that.

    Cheers,

    Greg