Re: come comments on sn1999Q

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 06:21:59 PDT

    Hi Serena,
       We've just had an executive meeting and we have discussed the
    problematic case of SN 1999Q. Here are some suggestions.

    i) SN99Q is plotted with a different symbol in Figures 13 and 14.

    ii) SN99Q is plotted as a point and not a band in Fig. 14. This means
    that it has to be plotted in the upper plot Figure 13 and listed in
    Table 11, which it is currently not.

    iii) We point out the peculiarities of this SNe, i.e. a
    relatively large stretch, a faint restframe I-band magnitude, a
    relatively red B-V colour, a relatively blue B-I colour
    and a restframe B-V colour evolution that is suggestive of low stretch.
    However, we should also note that the colours have been analysed by two
    teams (we measured the restframe B-V colour and they measured the
    restframe B-I colour) and that there is disagreement on the fit to
    the date of maximum light.

    iv) SN99Q is not used in the grey dust analysis. I.e. it should be
    removed from Table 12.

       Unfortunately, the results of the reanalysis of the SOFI data does
    help us to understand this candidate any better. The restframe
    B-I colour becomes redder and the restframe I-band magnitude
    becomes brighter. To make further progress, we need the Keck data, and
    I have asked for it.

       As I am writing this e-mail, another thought has occurred to
    me. Vitaly measured the restframe B and V band magnitudes, so we
    should be able to compute a restframe B-I colour and a peak
    B band magnitude. This leads to two questions.

    a) How does this SN look in the B-band Hubble diagram. Is it also an
    outlier?

    b) If we use our restframe B-band magnitudes and their restframe I band
    what is the B-I colour of SN99Q and how does it compare with what they
    have published.

    Cheers, Chris.

       We all agree that SN 1999Q should be plotted differently in
    figures 13 and 14 of your paper.

       In the latest version of the paper, you state that you plan
    to plot SN 1999ff differently as well. We understand that the
    reasons for doing this is to highlight our own work on SN 2000fr.
    But we should be cautious here. We do not want to cast SN 1999Q
    and SN1999ff in the same light.

    --
    European Southern Observatory
    Alonso de Córdova 3107, Vitacura