(no subject)

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 11:11:32 PDT

    Hi Serena,
      Thank you for the most recent version of the paper. I have read it and
    I provide some comments/suggestions below.

    The ISAAC data are from ESO program 265.D-5721. This should appear as a
    footnote to the title.

    We use private communications in two parts of the paper. Before
    submitting the paper, I would suggest that you contact both Schmidt and
    Tonry to make sure that they are satisfied in the way we have used the
    information they have provided us.

    Section 3
    =========

    In the final paragraph of section 3, there seems to be some missing text
    "... by the A similar ..."

    Section 4.1
    ===========

    In the last paragraph of section 4.1, you discuss the K-correction from
    J and I. At one point, you add the phrase "and the 2MASS filter
    definition". It is not clear to me what you mean here.

    Also K_IJ is the K-correction from J to I and not Js to I.

    Note that, for Vega, we have defined Js=J.

    In the previous paragraph we define an ISAAC Js system (we correct the
    standard star magnitude). This correction is derived by using the
    Persson J-band filter curve, the Js filter, the Vega spectrum and a
    spectrum of the standard (G-dwarf). In defining the ISAAC Js system, we
    assume Js=J for Vega.

    You quote an error of 0.05 magnitudes in the k-correction. Perhaps it
    would be worth adding a sentence explaining where this error comes from.
    This will be important, as you found a difference of up to 0.15
    magnitudes for 99Q.

    Section 4.2 and 4.3
    ====================

    How do the stretch values compare with the Delta m15 measurements of
    these two SNe. Are they consistent?

    Section 5.
    ==========

    The large scatter in the z~0.5 SNe is mostly due to 99Q and this should
    be emphasised.

    In the second last paragraph, you mention the "General problem regarding
    J-band observations". I do not believe this to be true. For example

    - The ZPs have an uncertainty of 0.01 magnitudes. This is very good.

    - The Js filter curve is precisely known (I measured it myself with the
    ISAAC spectrograph).

    - The relationship between optical and IR systems is known to within
    0.02 magnitudes.

    I think that this paragraph should be deleted.

    Section 6
    =========

    I think that you are too pessimistic about the result you derive on grey
    dust. I would not say that the statistical significance of the results
    are limited. Perhaps you can rephrase this in the following way

    "Although these simple grey dust models are disfavoured by the data, the
    number of SNe in the sample is small. In order to increase the
    statistical significance of the result and to search for possible
    systematic errors a larger sample is required."

    In the second last paragraph, you say that one would need 20 z~0.5 SNe
    to exclude grey dust at the 95% confidence level. You should mention
    which model you are excluding here, because, in the previous paragraph,
    you were able to exclude one model with 97% confidence.

    I found some paragraphs in this section difficult to follow.

    European Southern Observatory
    Alonso de Córdova 3107, Vitacura
    Casilla 19001, Santiago 19
    CHILE