Re: Serena's template

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 17:10:20 PST

    On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 04:37:54PM -0800, Lifan Wang wrote:
    > I do not believe R-I can be anywhere close to -0.4 at optical
    > maximum of a normal SN Ia. My light curve fits show most of the SNe
    > with z
    > < 0.005 show -0.24 at B-max. R-I = -0.4 is beyond reasonable physics.

    Here's your problem.

    Whatever you believe your understanding of the physics of supernovae
    is, the simple fact is that many supernovae are observed to have
    R-I~-0.4 around maximum. Both Serena and I have seen it. Observations
    are going to trump preconceptions about what the physics ought to be
    every time.

    Here are some of the colors I have (note that some of these suffer a
    little host galaxy extinction, too!)

       SN stretch epoch color (R-I)
    --------------------------------------
    1994M 0.887 3.3 -0.43 +- 0.04