Re: Optical-IR colours

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 09:34:53 PST

    Hi Serena,
      I computed the means and standard deviations for the colour-selected
    A0 catalog. I.e. the one in which |B-V| < 0.05.

    Catalogue mean(B-V)_J mean(V_J-J_2MASS) mean(V_J-J_2MASS)
    A0V |B-V| < 0.05 0.004 (0.025) 0.044 (0.056) -0.003 (0.029)

    The values in brackets are the standard deviations. If the distribution
    is Gaussian then the error in the mean is stddev/sqrt(n) where n is
    the number of samples. Since n=57, the error in the mean for the three
    colours are 0.003, 0.007 and 0.004 magnitudes respectrively.

    Hence a reasonable error in the mean (V-J-J_2MASS) colours of
    unreddened A0 stars in the Hipparcos input catalogue is
    0.007 magnitudes.

    The other method produced a larger correction, but had a larger
    uncertainty 0.012 magnitudes.

    Hence one could argue that the two estimates are marinally
    compatible within the statistical errors and hence there is no
    need for a systematic uncertainty.

    Cheers, Chris.