Re: notes on the Iband phone conference

From: Serena Nobili (serena@physto.se)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 04:58:35 PST

    Dear Lifan,

    I don't really understand from your e-mail, whether you get a dispersion
    of 0.14 using my Imax or yours. I am doing some checks and I have a doubt
    concerning the uncertainty of the redshift. Are you propagating that in
    the uncertainty on the effective magnitude? I am trying to do so and I
    get a dispersion of 0.14 magnitude, assuming the uncertainty on
    velocity=300 km/s and data with z > 0.01. The way I get 0.14 mag is by
    subtracting the average error square from the r.m.s. square, i.e.

         sqrt(rms^2-<err>^2) = 0.14

    If I select data with z > 0.015, then I get:

         sqrt(rms^2-<err>^2) = 0.166

    As the uncertainty is dominated by the one on the redshift, thus
    the cut on the redshift range is quite relevant to the measured
    dispersion. Is this what you are doing?

    For what concerns the uncertainties in the fitted Imax, they were checked
    with a Monte Carlo, and found always consistent with the simulation. As
    you see the uncertainty on 1996C is slightly larger than the one on
    1996bo, for instance, which has much smaller uncertainties in the data
    points. You find the description of the simulation in the paper (section
    2.3). Please let me know if you think that is not clear enough.
    Cheers

            Serena

    --

    Give free food at: http://www.porloschicos.com/ http://www.thehungersite.com/