Re: SN 1999Q info from John Tonry

From: Serena Nobili (serena@physto.se)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 02:26:54 PST

    Dear Greg (cc Vitaliy & co.)

    I am glad you had the possibility to talk directly to Tonry. Reading your
    e-mail I went back to Riess et al (2000) to check the date of maximum he
    gives. Looking at table 2 of Riess'paper, I get the date of B maximum to
    be 51195.15, i.e. only 1 day later than Tonry's value, and not 3 as you
    say and, if I am not wrong, Vitaliy was assuming in case 2 of the fit. I
    believe the problem comes from column 2 being rest frame, instead of
    observed frame, this would give the 3 days difference.

    All of this is suggesting that the time of max given by Tonry and Riess
    agree within 1 day. I think we should repeat the lightcurve fit using
    Tonry's time of maximum, if we want to use the stretch factor, and refer
    to the time of max as private communication (though, it would be nice to
    be able to reproduce this fit, since we are using the same data set).
    Once we have done this, we can safely include the stretch of 99Q in the
    I-band paper. Thank you for your help in solving this problem.
    Cheers

          Serena

    --

    Give free food at: http://www.porloschicos.com/ http://www.thehungersite.com/