Re: SN 1999Q lightcurve (subluminous ?)

From: Serena Nobili (serena@physto.se)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 07:30:18 PST

    Dear Vitaliy,

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Vitaliy Fadeyev wrote:

    >Dear Serena,
    >

    >> greater than 1. We could then consider including this information in our
    >> paper. However, since this value would not improve the presentation ( e.g.
    >> this SN would be even more deviant in the Hubble diagram after correction
    >> for the stretch) and given that they could publish the lightcurve at any
    >> moment and "perhaps" prove us wrong, I would choose not to modify the
    >> analysis presented in the paper, avoiding taking un-necessary risks. I
    >
    >It seems that this is not an issue of "presentation" per se, but rather
    >that of the data analysis. I think that this is your call as to what
    >to do in this situation. In principle, you *are* biasing the result,
    >if you choose to omit the information which makes the data look "bad".
    >At some level, the outliers are to be expected.

    I am sorry, perhaps I was not too clear about this point. I don't mean to
    omit information that makes the data look "bad". My point is rather that
    we are not very sure about the information we would like to add. We have
    an estimate of the stretch factor which is not really reliable, since it
    does not come from the fit of the full data set the other team has for
    this supernova. All I am saying is that giving this, I don't feel
    comfortable in using that value of the stretch in our paper. Moreover, as
    you pointed out (below), this supernova seems slightly under-luminous in
    the Hubble diagram, published by Tonry, thus a stretch about 1.1 does not
    support this behavior. Note also that even without stretch correction,
    this supernova is under-luminous in the I-band Hubble diagram as well.
    I hope this clarify my point of view on this issue.
    Cheers

            Serena

    --

    Give free food at: http://www.porloschicos.com/ http://www.thehungersite.com/