Comments on i-band paper

From: Isobel Hook (imh@astro.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 10:46:50 PST

    Hi Serena,

    I think the draft looks very good, well done! Here are some comments -
    most of these are just details where I am being very picky!

    Cheers,
    Isobel.

    Intro:

    I see that there is a new paper on very low-z I-band light curves by
    Krisciunas, Philipps and Suntzeff (astro-ph/0312626) which you could
    mention.

    Section 2:

    At the start of this section I think it's a bit misleading to say that
    B and V-band lightcurves have been fit with a ONE-parameter template -
    really it's a 3-parameter fit: tmax, Bmax, stretch (or dm15). If you
    are going to say you use 5 parameters in your I-band fit then you
    should be consistent and include tmax and peak-flux as parameters when
    you talk about B-band fitting.

    Later in this section you say that using a B-band template reduces the
    number of free parameters by a factor 2 compared to the method used by
    Contardo et al. This is sort of true but the template is an emprical
    one derived from a lot of real data points - you could almost say it
    had an infinte number of free parameters which had to be constrained
    by hundreds of nearby measurements. So it's not as magical as it
    sounds!

    2.2 into the first sub-section of section 2 (or make a new subsection
    called "Fitting method"). At the moment much of the section on
    "fitting results" is really about the fitting method.

    I dont really understand why the Ca IR triplet should cause problems
    at any z provided the filters are a good match to whatever rest-frame
    band you're aiming for. I think that paragraph needs explanation or
    remove it.

    Section 2.4: "A width luminosity relation was found for the first
    lightcurve peak". I guess you are talking about I-band here although
    the previous sentence is all about B-band. Please clarify.

    You quote dispersion ~0.4 for the uncorrected B-band hubble
    diagram. This sounds rather large compared to what I remember us
    quoting in various proposals (0.3?). Where does this come from?

    "The found dispersion (0.19 mag) is larger..." I'm not sure what
    dispersion you are talking about now. Stretch-corrected B-band?

    Section4:

    The supernova images were aligned and scaled... say whether you mean
    in flux or spatial scale.

    In the tables in section 4 you give J magnitudes and I magnitudes. You
    should label the I-mags as k-corrected to the rest-frame.

    Section 4.4: I'm not quite sure I understand what you've done in order
    to make a set of templates which you then use for a one-parameter fit
    to the z~0.5 SNe. How did you collapse the 42 lower z ones down to one
    parameter? Are you using the curves in Figs 7 and 8?

    Section 5:

    You quote confidence levels with & without systematic
    uncertainties being accounted for, but you dont say what these
    uncertainties are. Are these the same as mentioned in section 6.1?

    In the conclusions you mention that a non-dust model is preferred at
    90% confidence but I could not see this result mentioned in section 5,
    where I would expect it to come from.

    Section 6:

    To be honest I found this section a bit frustrating - there is a lot
    of quite detailed analysis to understand, and at the end of it all
    we're told there were no significant conclusions. If possible I would
    try to shorten this section.

    Section 8: you mention the Ca triplet again, and again I dont see why
    it should be a problem. Also you mention selection effects for bright
    objects during the search campaign - this will get people worried so
    you should be more specific.

    Typos etc:

    Intro :

    Replace "The I-band lightcurves typically show..." with "I-band
    lightcurves of SNeIa typically show..."

    Shorten the sentemce "..offers a way to investigate the possibility of
    finding means for..." to "... offers the possibility of.."

    up-to-date should be "to date" in both cases where you use it.

    Remove "the" and add "for" in "Furthermore, (the) additional colour
    information is used to test FOR extinction ..."

    Section 2:

    "includes also" should be "also includes"

    "spectroscopically normals" should be "spectroscopic normals"

    "coincide generally with the one expected" should be "coincide
    generally with those expected"

    "not giving evidence for biases" should be "thus no evidence was found
    for significant biases"

    Figure 1: What are the lightcurves normalised to? (looks like first
    peak is normalised to 1.0). The residuals are also normalised to the
    same thing I guess?

    "more feeble" should be "weaker"

    Fig 8: two of the SN names lie on top of each other - can you displace
    these so they can be read?

    section 3: alpha_I=1.13pm0.19 should be 1.13 +/- 0.19

    Fig 10 caption: "Effective magnitude I maximum" should be "effective
    I-band maximum" or something. Spell out CT.

    Fig 11 caption: say that the spectral template is plotted on an
    arbitary flux scale (not amplified by a factor 4, since you dont give
    actual flux units anyway).

    Section 5:
    "We want to" should be "the goal of this work is to.."

    "..were thus corrected for Milky Way extinction in the observed band
    only." What other band would you correct it in? I think you mean this
    was the only correction applied, in which case you should say "the
    only correction applied was for Milky Way extinction"

    "..assumed as such to accound for" should ve "assumed sufficient to
    account for"

    Fig 15 caption: The middle sentence needs a verb!

    Section 6: "..and a comoving density.." missing word? should it be
    "constant comoving density"?

    "the authors neglected" should be "Riess et al. neglected"
    (people often use "the authors" to mean themselves in a paper).

    .." dash-dotted line the 99.7% probability" - probablility of what?