Re: Here's what Adam said about the 20-degree earth avoidance angle:

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 10:32:56 PDT

    This problem is the result of having to look over the earth to see this
    field this time of year. Certainly we should consider restricting the
    grism observations to > 25 degree from the earth. For z-band the damage
    may not be bad, as we will (or could) break an orbit into several
    exposures, and readout noise might be dominating the noise (I suppose
    Rachel can answer this easily enough). (We could consider making the
    exposure times unequal to better isolate the bright parts.) As for NICMOS,
    I don't really know whether the problem of the earth's limb is all that
    bad as I expect less scattering at red wavelengths, and if we are
    processing the up-to-ramp data we could just deweight the bright times
    (Vitaliy, is that possible?).

    - Greg