Re: Here's what Adam said about the 20-degree earth avoidance angle:

From: Vitaliy Fadeyev (VAFadeyev@lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 10:30:25 PDT

    I cannot comment on the ACS orbits. With NICMOS, the story is slightly
    different, due to the multiple readouts in each exposure. The recommended
    procedure for a given exposure is to look at the rate of the sky background
    as a function of time/readout before the processing. Then if say last few
    readouts reveal a significantly higher background rate, one can remove
    them from processing, thereby effectively reducing the exposure time.

    So, in this case one has a handle to investigate and to control the
    issue of
    higher background from the data themselves. For this reason I would not
    artificially shorten the NICMOS orbits.

    vitaliy