Re: Dan Green is a jerk

From: Andy Howell (howell@astro.utoronto.ca)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 07:46:16 PDT

    I encourage you all to do what we are doing on the Legacy Survey --
    ignore Dan Green. We have come up with our own naming scheme for legacy
    survey candidates: e.g. 04D3aa for the first SN discovered in the D3 field
    in 2004. We just post these to the web directly and forget about Dan
    Green. If he is going to put your SNe on a web page anyway, why don't
    you just put it on one that you control? It is so much less hassle. We
    never have to rename our SNe for publication. We never have to deal with
    proving things to this guy that is used to dealing with amateurs.

    The IAU Circulars serve a very important role for low redshift SNe, but
    for high-z observations they have become a joke. Why subject yourselves
    to the needless stress?

    I am not saying that SNe should not be reported -- they should.
    But in this age of Google, when everyone can find your web page, why are
    we using a system based on *telegrams* that has built in delays, limited
    bandwidth, and is subject to the caprices of a non-expert?

    -Andy