Re: Phase II

From: Rachel G. (gibbo@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 17:55:20 PDT

    Hi Andy,

        Properly calibrating will probably involve some
    iterative process, perhaps maximizing the SNR along the SN
    spectrum in addition to those of nearby brighter objects
    (luckily, there are a few). I'm hoping bright objects can
    help us determine how well we've minimized this error if we
    can determine what their SEDs are. This, together with the
    fact that if the SN features themselves are at all
    recognizable in the ratty spectrum we expext, they are
    hundreds of Angstroms wide, so even a less careful alignment
    and calibration will result in something we can use.
    Unfortunately, it'll be a few days before I can start to
    think hard about this. I have a few ideas, but for the next
    couple of days will probably focus on simpler tasks like an
    IAU circular. In fact, I'm ready for a nap now.

    Rachel