Response from Mobasher on acs04-076

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 19:26:24 PDT

    >From mobasher@stsci.edu Mon Apr 5 19:11:30 2004
    >Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:11:28 -0400 (EDT)
    >From: Bahram Mobasher <mobasher@stsci.edu>
    >To: Greg Aldering <aldering@panisse.lbl.gov>
    >cc: hstsearch@lbl.gov
    >Subject: Re: Host galaxy for acs04-076 (aka Zamorano)

    Hi Greg

    At relatively high redshifts (z > 1), trying to match colors and observed
    morphologies is often mis-leading. Any interpretation of the type
    of galaxy, based on its colors at these redshifts are not satisfactory.
    What we do here is to say that a "local" elliptical SED, once shifted to
    the redshift of this object, gives the best fit to its observed SED. This
    will then be interpreted as the progenitor of local elliptical at z=1.5.
    Of course, if you include dust in your SED, you might get a similar result
    using a starburst SED. THis is the famous redshift-dust degeneracy
    in estimating spectra type and redshift of objects. I guess you need the
    type
    to identify if the host galaxy is an elliptical and hence, if the Sne is
    Type Ia. For this purpose, it may be better to use the Sne color as a
    diagnostic.

    The photometry and redshift quoted is for both the objects, although it
    looks as double nuclei. The point is that we are here looking at the ACS
    data where we see the two nuclei. However, on the ground-based infrared
    data, which is combined with the ACS, we only see one object due to its
    lower resolution. We convolve the ACS with the ground-based psf when doing
    the photometry and hence, objects like this will be considered as a single
    galaxy. the alternative is to use the ACS data alone without the
    supporting subaru and near-IR data. However, for objects at z > 1, the
    absence of NIR data will cause problem.

    cheers

    Bahram

    * * *
    * Bahram Mobasher * Phone: (410) 338 4974 *
    * Space Telescope Science Institute * *
    * 3700 San Martin Drive * fax: (410) 338 5090 *
    * Baltimore MD 21218 * *
    * USA * email: mobasher@stsci.edu *
    * * *