ground + HST i' lightcurves

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 21:56:11 PST

    Saul and I, and then Vitaliy and I, had some conversations about how we
    can get information about old low-z SNe from the Subaru and ACS i' data
    without doing coadds or subtractions. The idea that we formulated, and
    which I'm sending out for discussion, is that we could run the
    Ivanlight aperture photometry software on all the individual Subaru and
    ACS images for each new candidate we find. This would give us i'
    lightcurves, and also provide a check for cosmic rays.

    For this to work, the relavent Subaru and ACS have to be in the
    database (which is, or will be, done). The image transformations need
    to be run (something we can do in advance for all but the new ACS
    images). To obtain real magnitudes, we could add a single fake entry in
    calib_nights for the Subaru reference (possibly bootstrapping from an
    ACS image) since that image covers the whole field.

    There might be some issues, such as the Subaru ref being too big to
    handle or appropriately match with the other images, which could
    require us to chop the Subaru ref into pieces (for instance, matching
    the ACS reference tiles). Also, there may be reasons why the Ivanlight
    code will not work on both ground and ACS images at the same time.

    Still, with this approach several of the people who now know how to run
    the Ivanlight code could help out, alleviating lots of hand work or
    more work that only Rob can do.

    Commments?

    Greg