Re: SN candidate in GOODS field

From: Ariel Goobar (ariel@physto.se)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 07:20:39 PST

    HSTsearchers,
    one more piece of information that I just added in the webpage. Having
    a day off from teaching is great!
    In fact, I now think I sounded a bit too pessimistic yesterday about
    the efficiency of the selection based on SN colors. Looking ar it
    today (morning always brighter than night!), I conclude that with an
    I-Z>1 we would be quite sure of that we got a Ia at z>1.1. Also, I-Z with
    a cut on the discovery date based on the Subaru data would be quite
    robust. Let's hope I don't get pessimistic by the evening...

    Gerson, Rachel: do you have now I-Z for the guys that Rob/Gerson found?
    Please, compare with figures in the webpage and let me know what you
    think...

    Cheers,
            Ariel

    On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Ariel Goobar wrote:

    > Hi Gerson,
    > I just had a quick look at your candidate. This is one where,
    > based on the info so far, I think I would not have recommended follow-up.
    > Both the SN Z-magnitude and the nearest galaxy magnitudes would set
    > an _upper limit_ on the redshift at around 1.2. I have added graphs
    > in my webpage showing the range of galaxy magnitudes vs z in the two
    > bands we are considering. What is the magnitude of the faintest candidate
    > that you think isn't a CR?
    > Ariel
    >

    > On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Gerson Goldhaber wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Rob,
    > > Here is a good looking candidate.

    > > Position: (330.1 , 3667.0)
    > > on acs02-03/nov212002acs1105drz.fts
    > >
    > > RA(2000) : 12:36:43.69
    > > Dec(2000): +62:10:34.2
    > > cheers Gerson

    Ariel Goobar (www.physto.se/~ariel)
    Department of Physics, Stockholm University
    AlbaNova University Center, SE-106 91 Stockholm, SWEDEN
    tel: +46 8 55378659 fax: +46 8 55378601