Re: SN searches

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 09:17:19 PST

    On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:58:12AM -0500, adam riess wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > Here are the tables.
    >

    > Basically we need orients of 90 degrees +/-45 +/-90, +/- 135, etc, etc
    > which are v3 nomrinal-180 degrees
    >
    > the orient gets locked down May 20..
    >
    > we will need to search Jul 8-11 ish
    >
    > working backwards puts us during the blackout
    > that could be okay if we don't start searching until
    > the end of it, March 5-7,
    > then we would need atleast a "double scrunch", i.e., 2 42-day intervals
    > to be on track to end in July, though
    > we get more orient mibility for early SNe.
    >
    > otherwise we slide to end on a search in August 19-22
    > and start in April

    The disadvantage of putting it off until April is that we will be "grism
    constrained" for *three*, rather than just two of the searches.

    How much does the scrunch really hurt the rates? Instinctively, I would
    think not very much, but we are operating in the "low numbers" mode
    where you have to be careful with instinct. If the hurt isn't that
    much, I'd say go with the double scrunch and starting in March at the
    end of the Blackout.