Re: Optimization of observations for the HST search

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 05:00:59 PDT

    On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 12:45:47AM -0700, VAFadeyev@lbl.gov wrote:
    > please find the attached note, which attempts
    > to answer the questions. It is based on Rachel's
    > newer and better S/N estimates.
    >
    > The 2nd questions is not answered. There seems
    > to be some software restrictions for such
    > substentially negative dates.

    Yeah, my software doesn't allow dates before -20 days in the rest frame,
    because the supernova hasn't exploded yet. (It uses such negative dates
    to flag the end of the lightcurve.) These only supply a weak constraint
    on the lightcurve in any event; if your other points are good enough,
    they're basically no constraint.