ABSOLUTELY URGENT -- EW data needed

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 13:15:28 PST

    SCP Exec, Gabriele, and others---

    Eric has been asking, repeatedly, for many months, for the data that go
    into the Equivalent Width plots in Gatson's low-z EW paper. Eventually,
    like squeezing blood out of a rock, we were able to get the data
    pointson the high-z supernovae, but we have never seen the low-z data.

    WE NEED IT.

    NOW.

    Eric is trying to reproduce those measurements, and isn't able to do it
    yet. However, we are SEVERELY hampered in figuring out what's going on,
    because we don't have exact numbers to compare. We don't have the
    values for a given specific spectrum, so that we can make sure the
    procedure is doing what we think it's doing. (And given that the
    endpoints are chosen "by eye" in Gaston's work, as far as I can tell,
    one number isn't enough; we need several, to see if there are
    systematics in this, as well as to have the robustness against these
    systematics to identify any potential probelms in Eric's procedure.)

    I will STRONGLY object to the submission of any paper including EQW
    work, including Gabriele's evolution paper, UNTIL we get this data which
    we have been REPEATEDLY asking for.

    Please, please, please, somebody who has Gaston's ear prevail upon him
    to send us these measurements, or make them availble to the
    collaboration.

    If this doens't happen, then I think that we effectively need to wipe
    the EW work out of the collaboration's memory, which means NEVER
    submitting Gabriele's paper. Numbers that are so mysterious that we
    can't even get them internally in our collaboration do not for good
    science make.

    SCP Exec, exert whatever pressure you can to MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

    As you can tell, I'm rather irritated by this, and by how long this has
    gone on.