Re: Equivalent Width measures

From: Gabriele Garavini (garavini@in2p3.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 06:45:27 PST

    Hi Rob, Hi All

    following your suggestion I've added a section to the evolution paper
    regarding the technique to measure the EW and the possible systematics
    involved in the measurement on low S/N ratio data. I still have to
    implement the other changes that where suggested during the meeting but
    I'd like to send you this new section now for Eric and Rob to have a
    reference for their work. In this section I also include Fig 1 and Table
    3 of Gaston's paper. The section reads like:

    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

    \subsubsection{Measurement technique and possible systematic effects}

    The technique used to measure equivalent width in SN~Ia was extensively
    described in the original works \citet{folatelliew} and
    \citett{folatellithesis} together with a detailed study of the
    possible involved systematic effects. For completeness in this section
    we schematically summarize the topical points to the application of this
    technique to high red shift supernova spectra.

    To measure the {\sc ew} of a spectral feature the underneath continuum
    must to be determined. The latter is computed as the straight line fit
    through the two local maxima that bound a feature (see panel {\bf (b)}
    in Fig.~\ref{fig:feat}). The wavelength location of the local maxima
    at a given epoch may differ from supernova to supernova and a drift
    with time is expected. To help the identification of SN features
    Table~\ref{tab:limits} reports the typical wavelength span in which
    the maxima are identified and shows the feature labels as in
    Fig~\ref{fig:feat}.

    For the fit of the continuum a small wavelength region is selected
    around each maximum, always within the ranges of
    Table~\ref{tab:limits}. The straight line is then fitted through the
    identified regions. The wavelength span of these regions around the
    maxima strongly depends on the signal to noise ratio (SNR) of the
    spectrum. In high SNR spectra the maxima are easily identifiable and
    small regions (typically 10{\bf????} \AA) give the best estimate of
    the peak. In relatively low SNR spectra , as those presented in this
    work, larger regions (typically 20-30{\bf????} \AA) are needed to
    estimate at best the maximum flux hidden within the noise. This
    approach was chosen as a practical one to be consistently used both to
    high and low signal to noise ratio data.

    Possible systematic error arising from the choice of the regions were
    accounted for by randomly shifting these regions. This was the
    dominant source of uncertainties when the signal-to-noise ratio per
    resolution element was above $\sim$10. In the case of lower SNRs (e.g
    as those of our data set) is found to be sub-dominant with respect
    to the statistical uncertainties.

    The systematic effect of low signal to noise ratio was also tested by
    adding Gaussian noise to high-quality spectra with known {\sc ew}. No
    significant bias was detected on the resulting \ew\ values.

    Further systematic effects could arise from host-galaxy light
    contamination. Residual galaxy light underlying the SN spectrum would
    bias the {\ew} measurements toward low values. This effect must be
    taken into account. We will come back on the this point in the next
    section.

    Thank you all for the collaboration and Happy new year.
    I'll fly to the hopefully sunny Rome tomorrow.

    Ciao
    Gabriele