EW paper draft (v 6.2)

From: Gaston Folatelli (gaston@physto.se)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 08:52:05 PST

    I have now added the corrections that Chris sent of Friday 7th.
    That makes it to version 6.2 of the paper that I have posted at the
    usual place:
    http://www.physto.se/~snova/private/internal.html
    (usual SCP access).

    There is a couple of points I'd like to comment myself:

    * It should be clear now in the abstract and the text that \alpha_(2+3)
    is regarded as a plausible primary calibrator.

    * The issue of avoiding "time-consuming photometry":
    I think I can't go into a detailed analysis of that possibility. I would
    only say that if the correlations found prove to be applicable, we
    won't need extremely well-sampled, multicolor lightcurves which are
    followed up to weeks after maximum. It would be enough to determine
    the peak brightness, its date and an estimate of the extinction. I tried
    to say that in the abstract.

    * The weird SNe (00cx, 02cx) are now mentioned in the intro. However, I
    couldn't find enough information about SN 2002ic as of yet.

    * Tables 1 & 2: Yes, "S" stands for spiral. I thought this was standard.
    I'll check it. From the spectral classification of host galaxies, I stuck
    to dividing them into S or E/SO (Elliptical - lenticular). The
    aknowledgement to the NED was added.

    * I will gather the info about the other correlations I tried in a
    separate document.
    What usually happens with other "EW sums" is that they separate
    1991bg-like from the rest but don't give a nice continuous distinction
    among normals and slow-decliners as \alpha_(2+3) seems to do. Some of the
    sums yield correlations which are comparable to that of the ratio
    R(Si II)_EW.

    * The last sentence of the conclusion was modified in view of Chris'
    worries but is still left there with a slightly different meaning. It
    points to the actual work we are carrying out on the high-z sample. No
    "study of evolutionary effects" is mentioned any more.

    * Sec. 4 - last paragraph: The epochs were taken as integer numbers. This
    was the solution considering the lack of accurate lightcurve dating
    for some SNe or for the observations themselves. This is precise enough
    for my purposes.

    Finally, the move to ApJ macro will be done in the end, when we are sure
    we want it.
    I'd like to thank Chris for such a detailed review.

        -Gastón