EW paper

From: clidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 15:34:24 PDT

    Hi Gaston,
      I've read through all the material and there are two points I'd like to discuss
    during tomorrow's teleconference.

    EW versus Absolute Magnitude
    ============================

    I like very much the idea of plotting spectroscopicly defined
    quantities against absolute magnitude rather than Delta m15 or
    stretch, as this is directly related to the issue we are interested
    in. Namely, can we use spectroscopic features to tell us something
    about the luminosity of the SNe. In this way, we steer clear of the
    issue of what these spectroscopic features tell us about the physics
    of type Ia explosions. I also like the idea of limiting this analysis
    to spectra that have been taken at similar times. Currently, the
    analysis is done for spectra around maximum light. Other windows could
    be considered; however, for the interpretation of high z spectra, the spectra
    that were taken around maximum light will be the most useful.

    From the plots, there is a clear correlation between various spectral
    features and luminosity. What is the scatter about a simple linear
    regression to some of the plots? The correlation between the SiII ratios
    and luminosity looks very tight if one outlier is removed. It looks as
    tight as correlation between Delta m15 and luminosity.

    By looking at the plots in the first paper, you may want to try
    correlating an index that is made up from indices 7 + 4 + 6 + 2 or
    7 + 4 + 6 or 2 + 4 with absolute magnitude. These four indices appear
    to have the strongest correlation with luminosity. For high z SNe, a
    plot with 2 + 4 would be the most useful.

    Definition of Indices

    The definition of the indices is still a bit vague. We need to
    describe in recipe on how these indices are measured so that anyone can
    repeat the measurement.

    As yet , I do not have a number to which people can call. If Ido not have anything
    by tomorrow morning, I'll try to set something up in Santiago.

    Cheers, Chris.