photon/axion oscillation question

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 07:14:37 PDT

    I don't know a whole lot about this topic, but here's a thought. Does
    anybody know what the limits from the CMB on these oscillations are?

    My simplistic thought on this:

     * The CMB is optically thick and a blackbody, thus we should know the
       flux emitted by it.

     * We know the angular diameter distance to the CMB, thus we know the
       luminosity distance to the CMB.

     * Therefore, we should be able to use flux measurements of the CMB to
       set limits on photons oscillating away into other strange things.

    Are there holes in this? E.g., would photon/axion oscillations also
    throw off our distance measurement? (I can't see how that would change
    the angular diameter distance.) How well calibrated is the absolute
    flux of the CMB? Enough to do anything useful with this?

    Given that the CMB is as far back as we can see photons at all, if we
    can use it as a "standard candle", given good flux measurements it
    should be able to provide the best possible limit on this. The only
    problem is that I don't really have a good idea about how well one can
    calibrate the absolute flux measurement.