Spec fit

From: Lifan Wang (lifan@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 12:52:42 PDT

    Dear Colleagues,

         I hope the discussions of spectroscopy identification would not
    slow down the submission of the paper. It is all fine to debate about it.
    But as the one who really worked hard to reduce some of the Hi-Z data,
    I would not take any strong openion for these identifications. It is good
    if we can see a hint of Si II, but remember that even in these cases we
    cannot be really that certain considering the overwhelming amount of
    night sky lines we have to deal with in the beginning.

        So my standard is low. As long as we cannot obviously reject an object
    as a Ia based on the spectroscopy/photometry we have, we should take it seriously.
    There are quite a number of targets that are rejected based on spectroscopic data
    we have.

        Furthermore, even if you some time see a Si II line, it is still not
    clear how significant the detection is. This is true also when you don't see
    a Si II. We don't have significance estimates for the features yet.

    Cheers,

    Lifan