Re: HST paper - high-redshift stretch-luminosity relation

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 10:39:23 PDT

    There were a few questions about the stretch-luminosity plot I sent
    out. First, let me remind those who are interested in this that I
    didn't perform any fits - I simply took residuals provided by Rob to
    Fit 3, along with the stretch, host extinction, and alpha values
    reported in the paper. So, one important caveat for the
    extinction-corrected stretch-luminosity relation I showed is that there
    could be a residual zeropoint offset between high and low redshift. The
    zeropoints appear to me to be pretty consistent, but that can
    assessed more directly once Rob gets back.

    I can roughly estimate the chi-squares with and without stretch
    correction, but note that I don't back-out the stretch errors or
    stretch-peak covariance in doing so (these are fairly small). Also, in
    the plot I sent, I did not add an "intrinsic" scatter" to the magnitude
    error bars that are shown. The chi-squared values below are calculated
    both with and without intrinsic scatter, using 0.17 mag for the cases
    with no extinction correction and 0.11 mag for the cases where
    extinction correction was applied. Note that of the high-redshift HST
    SNe, SN1998aw is not included because I do not have its residual
    (it suffers strong extinction).

    Chi-Squared values for the 10 HST SNe:

                                     No Ext. Cor. Ext. Cor.
    No stretch correction 226 9.0
    and no intrinsic error

    Stretch correction 214 12.4
    and no intrinsic error

    No stretch correction 12.8 10.6
    and instrinsic error

    Stretch correction 12.1 7.6
    and intrinsic error

    People can interpret this for themselves, but to me it appears that for
    the extinction-corrected case, the data prefer to be stretch-corrected
    when a 0.11 mag instrinsic error is assigned (chi-squared drops from
    10.6 to 7.6). But, that if there is no intrinsic error assigned, they
    do not favor stretch-correction (chi-square increases from 9.0 to
    12.4). The differences for the extinction-corrected cases differ by
    less than 2-sigma (delta chi-square < 4). All the extinction-correction
    cases pass a goodness of fit test (the DOF is really close to 10 since
    many more SNe went into determining the fitting parameters).

    - Greg