Re: further thougths on CMB vs. Helio redshifts

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 09:24:38 PDT

    On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:22:11AM -0500, Robert A. Knop Jr. wrote:
    > On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:55:36AM -0700, Don Groom wrote:
    > > While it is easy to construct examples (with pathological R(t)) in which
    > > the redshift cannot be construed as an expansion velocity, we still behave
    > > schizophrenically and talk about "the expanding Universe." Eric can object
    > > when he reads this, but he argues that this is OK when combining proper
    > > motion with cosmological expansion.
    >
    > You lost me on an antecedant somewhere. Which "this" is OK? My
    > bastardized version? Or something else?

    Or-- is "just using heliocentric redshifts" right?

    I'm sure that just using CMB-based redshifts can't be right. I'm
    realizing that my bastardized approach implicitly ignores length
    contraction or something like that. Is the result of Eric's work that
    *heliocentric* redshifts are the right thing to use?

    I need to know very soon, because these fits take time! (The next draft
    will probably just use my bastardized version, and for the final draft
    after that I'll do the fits "right", but even then I need the info
    soon.)