Is using CMB redshifts the right thing to do???

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 07:27:44 PDT

    I got thinking about this, and I'm questioning whether using CMB
    redshifts is the right thing to do in cosmology. In fact, I think the
    heliocentric (or, really, geocentric) redshifts may be better; the right
    thing to do is probably CMB redshfits with some corrections.

    What got me thinking about this was that I had forgotten to correct
    low-z SN redshifts to CMB before the cosmology fits I posted yesterday.
    When I went and put that in, the chisquares all got worse, due to the
    individual residuals for some low-z supernovae getting worse.

    As I thought about it, I was thinking about the derivations of how
    luminosity distance relates to angular diameter distance. There is a
    term of (1+z) that gets put in there due to time dilation. Now, that
    time dilation will happen whether the z is from a cosmological redshift
    or a doppler shift due to our motion relative to the CMB. As such,
    we're failing to account for some fraction of the time dilation when we
    use CMB redshifts rather than redshifts as observed by us.

    I will have to think harder about the rest of the derivation; it seems
    implausible to me that the luminosity distance equation will give the
    "right" magnitude decrement at a given z if that z is not entirely from
    a cosmological redshift, but I may be confused on this. In any event, I
    *am* convinced becuase of what's in the previous paragraph that just
    blindly using CMB redshifts *will* give you slightly the wrong magnitude
    decrement.

    The question remains: do we have to do something more sophisticated, or
    will blindly using helocentric redshifts do the right thing?

    Has anybody thought about this in greater detail? (I will go back and
    pore over this, because I've thought close to this in greater detail in
    the past, and made notes when I was doing it.)