Re: U-band and U-B

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 09:09:22 PDT

    On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 05:06:14PM +0200, Ariel Goobar wrote:
    > and it looks very good, except for epochs earleir than -7.

    That latter bit doesn't surprise me, nor does it worry me much. I just
    put in the standard 20-day rise time parabola as with the other
    lightcurves, and joined it to a spline; there wasn't really anything
    early on to constrain it (using the five literature SNe that I had), so
    I had to pick a rise time.

    > Serena has started to look at the U-B intrinsic color dispersion
    > in the Jha data, but the host galaxy reddening corrections are still not
    > worked out. Without correcting for that (nor stretch) she is finding a
    > scatter at maximum of 0.18 mag.

    Is this intrinsic, i.e. have the measurement uncertainties been
    subtracted out? Peter gave me numbers yesterday, 0.1 and 0.04, as
    residuals from a stretch/magnitude fit; those are *intrinsic*, in that
    you add the measurement errors to get the total dispersion. The latter,
    smaller dispersion is when the two dimmest outlyers (i.e. those we were
    unlikely to find) are omitted.