Re: 97aj

From: Alex Conley (aconley@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 20:54:14 PST

    This was one of the conclusions of the refitting that I did, which
    admittedly was probably too boring for anybody but Rob to actually look at
    in detail. There were three SNe in the 42 that displayed this behavior.
    sn921, sn9794 (97aj) and one other which I don't recall off of the top of
    my head. Possibly we (probably meaning me) should formalize this in some
    critereon and reject these three objects. I haven't checked the HST ones
    yet.

    Also -- I talked briefly to Don last week about putting an error on
    the template, since I knew that was part of the problem we have
    been having with the lightcurve fits from the first teleconference.
    He said he would think about how to do it, although it certainly won't
    be happening in this paper. SNAP, and probably the SNFactory, will
    definitely need something like that, however. Exactly how we will go
    about deriving a good error-snake isn't clear, however.

    Also note that while giving the template an error is a good idea, it
    may still not be the right thing to do conceptually for the tail fit.
    If stretch doesn't work at all in the nebular phase, as many have
    suggested, then simply putting an error on the template isn't the
    right thing to do.

    In any case, doing this even vaguely right is over the horizon for this
    discussion, but I definitely support the idea of the error floor as a
    kludgy way to try and achieve the same thing that is probably adequate
    for the purposes of this investigation.

    Alex