Riess' prior

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 11:47:05 PST

    Reading the 1998 "dark side" paper, it's a little difficult to figure
    out what the prior they used on E(B-V) was. From reading it, I can
    figure out that it's 0 for E(B-V)<0, but it's hard to figure out what
    the high end cutoff is.

    Does anybody know what what was the real probability distribution they
    used as a prior, and how they used it?

    My plan is to take their mB and mV values, subtract them to get a color,
    and use that to figure out E(B-V). This isn't really consistent with
    how I did it for our supernovae, but it's the best approximation I can
    get without refitting their lightcurve data. HOWEVER, if their
    uncertainties *already* include the color uncertainty, we'll be
    double-counting that uncertainty; do that? Also, if their mB values
    have already included the bias of this prior, we'll also be
    double-biasing. Does anybody know what the case is?

    The more I think about this, the more I fear I may be stuck refitting
    their lightcurve data :/