CISCO status and obtained data so far

From: Kentaro Motohara (kmotohara@ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 18:35:05 PST

    Dear all,

    Unfortunately, a stepping motor to drive the one of
    two filter wheels failed at the beginning of the night of
    11/19.
    I tried to recover it by changing the driver, modifying the
    torque,,, done everything possible, but it never came back
    and seems to be broken.

    Because it is a cryostatic motor, we have to warm up CISCO
    and open the dewar which takes more than a week.
    We therefore gave up observation...
    I really feel sorry for the misfortune of this run.

    By the way, we have done quick-analysis and compiled about 4hours
    of data.
    In the resulting image, which is quite dirty due to the stray light,
    SN-071 have detected in S/N=5 level.
    I hope we can get somehow higher S/N like 8-10 using the
    whole data, employing careful reduction.
    I'll start that after I come back from the seeing-monitor
    campaign at Atacama, and complete it by next January.

    Cheers,
    Kentaro.
    Kentaro Motohara

    Research Associate
    Institute of Astronomy, University of Tokyo
    2-21-1 Osawa, Mitaka, Tokyo 181-0015, Japan

    kmotohara@ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
    Tel: +1-81-422-34-5049 Fax: +1-81-422-34-5041