Where we are right now...

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 03:43:05 PST

    Ok, here's a quick update of our current status: We are observing a
    few alternative targets here at Subaru right now, because we don't think
    we can improve (in any feasible amount of tonight's eposure time) on the
    spectra of the candidates that are our current favorites to go to
    HST. If one of these turns out to be a much easier/cleaner choice (or
    on elliptical host, as indicated by photo-z for one of our alternative
    targets) then we can substitute it for one of the current favorites.

    The current favorites for HST followup are:
        060 (mostly because it's on very likely elliptical host) at z =
    1.063 from galaxy H & K lines
        017 already has very nice ground-based spectrum, so we would be
    likely _not_ to go for an ACS grism on it. z = ~1.0
        065 only worry about this one is that it may be a little further
    past max since we can't tell for sure that there is no light in the
    reference image. z = 1.18 from galaxy OII

    The current concept is that we would then follow 071 from the ground
    with the VLT and Subaru time. This one is nice SN at z=0.928 (redshift
    from host galaxy lines).

    The ones we are currently re-observing to see if they would make good
    alternatives are:
        061 in previous nights' data, this one had clear galaxy line at z
    = 1.08
        012 (this one is on very likely elliptical, perhaps in cluster) in
    previous nights' data z = 1.3 would match SN, but this would be more
    exciting with more signal.
        007 in previous nights' data z =1.18 would match

    Note that 081 (the surprisingly plausible SN at z=1.48 -- redshift from
    host galaxy lines) is not in this list, because the HST observing setup
    we have is not tuned for this redshift. If we end up deciding we like
    this candidate within the next week or so, we will send in a director's
    time request for 4 or 8 orbits that would give us a "CMAGIC" color point
    later in its lightcurve.