Re: -081 at z=0.85?

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 08:30:24 PST

    Yes, we had looked into various alternative identifications of the lines, but
    in the end the evidence was very strong that the galaxy is at z = 1.48.
    There is a good match to the Magnesium line also, and the elliptical or Sa
    galaxy fits to that redshift even when you ignore the narrow lines. Note that
    we have never seen [OIII] 5007 by itself and that a number of other lines
    should also be seen if [OIII] is present, but none of them are there. At
    z=1.48, the galaxy + SN, with the appropriate ratio (when compared to the
    percent increase) is a consistent fit with the data. (Have a look at the fit
    that Lifan should be putting in Berkeley right now -- Andy: can you get this
    onto the web so everybody can see it?) So, it's not that the additional
    identification of the extra light beyond the galaxy light as due to an SN Ia
    is conclusive, but just that it seems to be the best bet. It would still be
    very interesting to see if there are other SNe that have the same feature that
    SN Ia have that makes the fit better.