First supernova candidate of the night (a bright one, for warm up)...

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 00:06:15 PST

    The first supernova candidate we tried tonight was the bright candidate
    -001 (which is the same as -027), with magnitude i'_AB ~=23.2, and ~100%
    increase. The acquisition software (by Robert Quimby, with
    contributions from Alex Conley and Lifan Wang, and debugging by Greg
    Aldering) worked quite well. The half hour exposure we took showed a
    nice Type Ia-like SN at z ~ 0.57.

    We had just aquired are second target, -019, when we got word from
    Mamoru and Naoki's colleagues that they had just succeeded in obtaining
    at photo-z for it -- and they estimated z = 0.6 -- 0.8. So we aborted
    that candidate (we can try some other time to confirm this z, if we have
    enough telescope time), and moved on to -026, which we are now
    integrating on.

    We think the seeing is around 0.7".