[Fwd: NICMOS STAN - October 2002]

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 09:23:45 PST

    attached mail follows:

    | NICMOS
    | STScI Analysis Newsletter
    | NICMOS STAN
    | October 2002
    Visit the NICMOS web site http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/
    "New in the Last 45 Days" for all new information about
    NICMOS.

    CONTENTS (Optional):

    - HST Cycle 12 Call for Proposals

    - New NICMOS Instrument Handbook

    - post-NCS NICMOS Calibration Reference Files

    - post-NCS NICMOS Focus and Coma

    - The 2002 HST Calibration Workshop

    - NICMOS preprints

    http://www.stsci.edu/spd/cycle12/announce.html

    HST Cycle 12 Call for Proposals

    NASA and The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) are
    pleased to announce the Cycle 12 Call for Proposals for
    Hubble Space Telescope (HST) Observations and funding for
    Archival Research and Theoretical Research programs.
    Participation in this program is open to all categories of
    organizations, both domestic and foreign, including
    educational institutions, profit and nonprofit
    organizations, NASA Centers, and other Government agencies.
    This solicitation will be open from October 16, 2002
    through January 24, 2003 8:00pm EST, and proposals may be
    submitted throughout this period. Results of the selection
    will be announced in April 2003.

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/

    New NICMOS Instrument Handbook

    The post-NCS updated NICMOS Instrument Handbook for
    Cycle 12 has been completed and released. The new
    Instrument Handbook is available on the NICMOS
    home web page.

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/calibration/reffiles

    post-NCS NICMOS Calibration Reference Files

    Flat field observations have been obtained with all
    filters. The high S/N calibration reference files have
    been delivered to the Calibration Data Base System (CDBS)
    for use by the OPUS pipeline, On-The-Fly-Reprocessing
    (OTFR), and retrieval from the Archive. A list of the
    reference files can be found on the NICMOS web page.

    In addition, new post-NCS Bad Pixel Masks are available and
    have been delivered to CDBS. The mask files are available
    on the NICMOS home web page.

    New temperature dependent dark coefficients have been
    delivered to CDBS for use by the OPUS pipeline and calnica.
    These temperature coefficients are specific to post-NCS
    data obtained at 77.1 K. Users running calnica at their
    respective home institutions need to retrieve these
    coefficient files, one for each NICMOS camera (*_tdd.fits),
    and load them into the local nref directory.

    New linearity files have been delivered to CDBS for use by
    the OPUS pipeline and calnica. These files contain the
    pre-NCS correction coefficients, but decreased saturation
    values [node2]. These files are available for NICMOS
    users on the NICMOS web page. We expect to have
    post-NCS linearity files available in the near future.

    The photometric keywords in the science headers contain
    pre-NCS Cycle 7 and 7N values. The SM3B calibration program
    8986 completed the end of July 2002 and the data are being
    analyzed. Two calibration targets, P330-E and G191B2B, were
    observed. Target P330-E (Solar Analog) was observed with
    all Camera 1, 2, and 3 filters. Target G191B2B (WD) was
    observed with a selection of filters from each camera to
    tie the NICMOS calibration to the HST white dwarf standard.
    Preliminary results indicate an increased value in the
    photometric keywords, consistent with the observed increase
    in DQE of the NICMOS detectors. Analysis of the photometric
    calibration data is underway. At present, Cycle 11 NICMOS
    data retrieved from the archive are calibrated using the
    old, out-of-date Cycle 7 PHOTTAB reference file. Therefore,
    the photometric calibration keywords in the image header
    (PHOTFNU, PHOTFLAM) are not accurate. NICMOS users should
    watch for updates on photometry on the STScI NICMOS web
    pages and in this newsletter.

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/performance/focus/
    post-ncs_focus_update.html

    post-NCS NICMOS Focus and Coma

    Changes in the optimal positions of the of the Pupil
    Alignment Mechanism (PAM) for NIC1 and NIC2 were
    implemented on May 9, 2002. No adjustment for the NIC3
    focus was performed. The NIC3 focus is still beyond the
    movement of the NIC3 PAM. However, the NIC3 focus has moved
    in the positive direction, bringing it nearly in-focus
    and thus providing far better scientific quality than in
    Cycle 7. In addition, no adjustment in focus was
    implemented for NICMOS coronagraphy. Continuing focus
    monitoring has revealed the focus measurements in all
    three cameras to remain stable and consistent.

    A preliminary adjustment to the NIC1 and NIC2 PAM tilt to
    remove some small coma, that was introduced since
    January 1999, was implemented on May 9, 2002. A final NIC1
    adjustment for scientific operation was uplinked on May 16,
    2002, and it successfully eliminated coma in NIC1. No
    further adjustment is necessary for NIC1. A slight
    adjustment to the NIC2 PAM tilt to remove coma was
    implemented on September 29, 2002. This adjustment was
    successful, eliminating coma in NIC2. No tilt adjustment
    has been performed for NIC3.

    http://www.stsci.edu/
    The 2002 HST Calibration Workshop

    The 2002 HST Calibration Workshop was held at STScI on
    October 17-18, 2002. Each HST Instrument Group had a
    session devoted to their particular instrument. NICMOS
    talks were presented by Daniela Calzetti (NICMOS Status),
    Torsten Boeker (Detector Properties), Mark Dickinson
    (Photometry), Rodger Thompson (NICMOS Spectroscopy), and
    Glenn Schneider (NICMOS Coronagraphy), and nine NICMOS
    related posters were also presented.. A separate NICMOS
    splinter session was chaired by Wolfram Freudling. Topics
    covered in the splinter session were "AO and NICMOS",
    the WF3 infrared channel, and NICMOS polarimetry.

    Contributions to the 2002 HST Calibration Workshop
    proceedings are due December 1, 2002. Invited speakers
    can submit a manuscript up to 10 pages and those presenting
    a poster paper can submit a 4 page manuscript. NICMOS
    papers will be posted on the NICMOS home web page once they
    are available.

    | Additional general section(s) (e.g. NICMOS preprints)

    The on-orbit performance of NICMOS was described in two
    papers presented at the SPIE Meeting, Astronomical Telescopes
    and Instrumentation, Waikoloa, Hawaii, August 22-28, 2002. In
    addition, a paper was presented describing the NICMOS Cryo
    Cooler (NCC), the technology, evolution, performance, and
    future applications. Links to these manuscripts can be
    found on the NICMOS home web page.

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/

    Boeker, T. et al. 2002, "NICMOS revival story: A cooldown
    monitoring program", in IR Space Telescopes and Instruments,
    J. Mather ed., SPIE, Vol 4850, in press.

    Jedrich, N.M, et al. 2002, "A cryogeneric cooling system for
    restoring the IR science on the Hubble Space Telescope", in
    IR Space Telescopes and Instruments, J. Mather ed., SPIE,
    Vol 4850, in press.

    Schultz, A. et al. 2002, "Post-NCS Performance of the HST
    NICMOS", in IR Space Telescopes and Instruments, J. Mather
    ed., SPIE, Vol 4850, in press.