SN 1997ai / 9779 host

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 14:42:05 PDT

    FYI,

    With the help of Mark Sullivan I was able to lay my hands on our HST
    STIS Snapshot images of the host of SN 1997ai / 9779, coadd the images,
    and photometer the host galaxy. The host galaxy is R = 24.9 +/- 0.1,
    and would be unresolved from the ground (it is roughly 0.6" x 0.4" FWZI).

    The presence of a non-negligable host matters in this case because we
    never took final refs for this SN, and in P99 we reported its
    lightcurve parameters based on an SNMINUIT with a floating baseline.
    The baseline value was -0.12 (in relative flux units where the SN peak
    brightness is nominally 1); the physical interpretation of this would
    normally be that we had oversubtracted host light. In this case, since
    no host was subtracted, the SN is reported as 0.12 mag too bright
    because of the baseline. It is reported another 0.14 mag or so too
    bright because the host light was included in the photometry points.
    Assuming that the baseline and host errors weren't compensated by
    stretch or some other aspect of the fit, this means that SN 1997ai was
    reported as 0.26 mag too bright in P99.

    - Greg