Re: Andy scores

From: Andy Howell (DAHowell@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 15:21:32 PDT

    Thanks for the kind words Don.

    As you can guess, we had no control over the cover. I didn't even know
    it was
    the cover story until it arrived in my mailbox.

    As for the accretion disk picture, it is a painting by Don Dixon. He
    modified
    an earlier work based on my instructions to show a SN progenitor system.
    I doubt they can give me a copy because is is copyrighted, but in a few
    weeks
    they will start selling the PDF version of the article on the S&T web site
    (they don't even give me a free PDF!) and I'll get it and work some
    photoshop
    magic so we can use it for talks.

    The six-panel montage on pp. 34-35 showing what happens to the companion
    star during a supernova is actually part of a movie that they had made, and
    I both the movie and the stills because I worked very closely with the
    artist.

    We tried to get them to include a picture of SNAP because it is mentioned
    in the article. I sent them about 50 different renderings of it, but
    they were
    all rejected for being "too boring." Oh well.

    If you want to see the first draft of the article, with notes on how we
    changed it, check out my public outreach site:
    http://www.starstuff.org
    It is in the "Recent Articles" section.

    -Andy