Re: Fw: faint supernovae candidates

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 05:44:02 PDT

    On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:28:28PM +0900, Naoki Yasuda wrote:
    > (1)
    > All objects are bright enough compared to the detection limit(about 26.0mag).
    > For S02-016, it is not moving objects, but there is possibility of AGN.
    > Dates of photometric observation are the ones in submitted material.
    > Dates of spectroscopic are given in the following.

    I think what he means for the "detection limit" question is: what was
    the limiting magnitude in the reference image, to indicate our
    confidence that the SN wasn't there yet. [1] (I got the same request on
    my circular.) On mine, where I asserted there was a lightcurve, he also
    wanted the date and magnitde of a later epoch, not just the discovery
    date.

    [1] Note that somtimes it might be detected faintly in reference images.
    However, if we don't have "final references" for the field (which for
    many of the CTIO ones, we do not), we have no way of knowing that. From
    Dan's phrasing of the question, it's clear that he's still thinking
    about "nearby" supernova discoveries, where the host is so well resolved
    that the contribution of the host to the small aperture underneath the
    SN is very small. For more distant supernovae, the host galaxy in the
    SN's aperture is usually appreciable.

    For our SNe where we don't have a "final referenced", I intend to just
    quote a limiting magnitude and call that good enough, since it really is
    the best of our knowledge at the moment, and since in a year nobody's
    going to really care about the content of this IAUC beyond the position
    and name of the SN.